Thursday, August 04, 2011

From The Kitchens of Gujarat-KHANDVI......Golden Rolls Specked Wt Black Pearls!

These days I have been facing a tough time keeping my mind off desserts, because most times than not, I end up stuffing my big mouth with the experiments and then crying big tears of regret when the desserts find a permanent residence on my hips! So, I decided that I would experiment still...after all it is a crime to bury one’s culinary skills (ok! ok! I can hear my friends laughing over that one!) just because the weighing scale complains of physical abuse every Sunday morning!
So, time for me to try my hand on some easy, low calorie, glutton free savoury dishes! I have been trying to cut down on non vegetarian intake (No! Not because I thought “Save the Tiger” needs company with “Save the Fish, Chicken & Pig” support groups!! ;-) ) Simply because I want to figure out how the other half of the population survives!!
Now, as you all know, I am LAZY to the core and well do not like to follow the “Path Well Crowded by Other Amateur Cooks”. So what can be made that's vegetarian, easy, low calorie and incorporates well into these two qualities of mine that I just mentioned above??
Khandvi was the answer!!!
A typical Gujarati snack of thin, smooth rolls sprinkled with beautiful mustard seeds and curry leaves is something that few of us might not even like to eat but most of us enjoy without feeling guilty! The cooking process is unique and, while it may take a few tries to learn, is not difficult at all. The variations to Khandvi, from making it from chick pea flour (besan) to using yellow moong dal, all taste scrumptious.


Since I do not like to make even common things with the usual ingredients, I decided to make Khandvi using yellow moong dal as it makes it healthier than it already is!  

Try out this easy, quick recipe and you won’t need to head out to a sweets shop next time you want to have it!
MOONG DAL KHANDVI
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves 2
INGREDIENTS:
½ cup soaked yellow moong dal
½ cup curd
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste

For The Tempering
1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
4-5 fresh Curry leaves
¼ tsp Asafoetida

For The Garnish
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

STEPS:

·       Drain and blend the moong dal in a mixer to a smooth paste, using 1 tbsp of water.
·       Combine the moong dal paste, curds, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt in a microwave safe bowl and mix well.
·       Microwave on high for 7 minutes, stirring in between after every 2 minutes.
·       Spread the mixture thinly on the back of three 200 mm. (8") diameter thalis and allow to cool for five minutes.
·       Cut the Khandvi into 50 mm. (2") thick strips, carefully rolling up each strip.
·       For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
·       When they crackle, add the sesame seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and pour on top of the prepared khandvis.
·       Serve, garnished with the coriander.

7 comments:

  1. i love khandvis..... and i think they have a shelf life too... :P
    looks amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I m not a very big fan of anything gujju (i mean food here ;-P), but this creation of yours is very tempting...makes me try one...ya ya...ONLY EATING (n ofcourse u cooking....lolz).
    Must appreciate you for the fab pics....great!! Keep up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anuj-glad u liked the post..try it at home!!;)

    @Shuch-next time u drop in, this is gonna be part of my humble offering!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bow down to you madame` !!!!
    This is super !!! I love khandvis and have been thinking of trying them out at home for the longest time but somehow never could muster up the courage.
    But this post is very encouraging.
    and yes...I'd never heard of Moong Daal Khandvi before....sounds quite interesting.
    I also wanna have this khandvi that you make.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauri-thanx a ton sweetheart!:) i love dhoklas n khandvis and was tired of being dependent upon sweets shops to cater to me:-p
    I'll surely make it whenever u come over! do try it and let me know how it was!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow .. so yummy. Hopping over from The Backyard Baker. Love the pictures.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vardhini-thanks a ton for dropping over n ur kind words..do visit again n try some of the recipes!:)

    ReplyDelete