Saturday, August 06, 2011

Crispy Herb Chicken Legs- My Idea of Comfort Food For The Soul!!


Bored with typical mughlai gravies and tikkas, I wanted my comfort food to be finger licking good but guilt free as well!!:) These days I try to eat only such things that don’t cause nightmares of my struggling to swim through rapids of oil and grease!! UgghhhhK
Feeling low because of bad cold, my taste buds not able to identify much other than the medicine I keep popping...I wanted something that cheered me up by just being there on my plate!!J
Staying in Noida, most of the take away food joints have the same boring tikkas or greasy curries, deep fried Chinese grub or cheesy pizzas! Why should I even bother ordering something that would just make me feel more depressed after eating it was the thought that ran through my mind!
So, here I was, really in the mood for something that is food for the soul-yummilicious yet healthy!J I had some raw chicken legs lying in the freezer waiting for their fate to turn into a curry for lunch the next day..but I’m a person who respects food and I could hear the chicken keep saying “Glorify My Sacrifice”!!


So I decided to try my hand in roasting it in my trusty cute little OTG...after marinating it in whatever herbs and ingredients I had access to without doing any chopping, peeling, cutting! Couldn’t go through the grief of all that menial work with a bad cold!

CRISPY HERB CHICKEN


PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
SERVES 2
INGREDIENTS
  • Chicken Legs (Skinned)- ½ kg
  • Olive Oil- 1 tbsp
  • Garlic Powder (optional)- ½ tsp
  • Ginger-garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
  • Dried Oregano- 1 tbsp
  • Brown Sugar (can use honey as a substitute!) -1 tbsp [optional]
  • Parsley-1 tsp
  • Red Chilli Powder-1/2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
Procedure-
  • Preheat the oven at 300 degree Celsius.
  • Mix all the ingredients together, making sure that each chicken piece is rubbed well with the marinade. I added sugar to give the chicken a crispy, toffee-like exterior and add a bit of sweetness to balance out the chillies.

You can refrigerate the chicken for half hour for better marinating but if you have guests over or just don’t want to wait, then cook straight away.
  • Place the marinated chicken in an oven baking pan, making sure that the pan is lined with aluminium foil as the sugar in the marinade would stick to the pan and make it difficult to clean otherwise!
            
NOTE: If you do not have an oven, then you can grill the chicken on a non stick pan as well. Cooking time would vary as per the mode of cooking.
  • Roast the chicken at 300 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or until it is crisp on the outside and the meat is cooked.
  • Turn the pieces once so that both the sides are cooked evenly and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
                    
Serve Hot with multigrain garlic bread!J


Hope you enjoyed reading this recipe as much as I enjoyed making it! Please do try it at home and let me know how it turned out!!J

4 comments:

  1. One recipe i want to try....seems pretty simple n m sure turned out yummmmm!!!
    Luv ur zeal to experiment with anything to do wid FOOD.....Great Work !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shuch-please do try it n lemme know how it was..better still make it wen i come over next!!:p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. Simple but surely a comfort food. I too need it badly right now :P !!
    Gonna try it soon. Love the post !!!
    Keep us posted with more experiments !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thnx gauri!:-D

    ReplyDelete