Friday, April 22, 2011

Chicken Schnitzel-Who Says Comfort Food Is Bad For Health!;-)



What does one do when one is a foodaholic and can’t resist something crunchy, spicy and meaty?? Well, being a weight watcher has its pitfalls...who am I kidding? There are ONLY pitfalls when every time you sink your teeth into a juicy steak or a crispy burger you see calories flashing in front of your eyes like one of those slot machines hitting jackpot!!:-(
So, I thought to myself, what can I cook that shouldn’t make my tummy ache with guilt afterwards and still leaves my taste buds tingling with joy!! Hmmm...it was hard to crush the images of KFC’s fried chicken till I realised that cooking isn’t rocket science! I could make my version of fried chicken without it being laden with fats and a guilt conscious!
Schnitzel is basically any meat beaten till thin, breaded and fried..it can be made with any kind of meat like veal, pork, chicken etc.
I decided to give this simple dish a try as my Saturday night T.V dinner, and my version definitely didn’t make me break into hives over the dreaded “C” word...CALORIES!!;-)
Here goes my contribution towards healthy and delicious Comfort food!:-)

CHICKEN SCHNITZEL
Difficulty Level- Easy
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
INGREDIENTS-
250 gms boneless chicken breast
1/4 cup wheat flour
2 cups crushed cornflakes [bread crumbs can also be used but I find cornflakes give a crunchier skin]
2 eggs-lightly beaten
Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Chilli Flakes, Garlic Powder
3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil [or any other cooking oil]
STEPS-
1. Cut each of the chicken breast horizontally.
2. Place each sliced piece of chicken between a piece of cling film and beat it till it has thinned out evenly. It is important to ensure that the chicken is thinned evenly so that it cooks equally and is not left raw or overcooked in places.
3. Rub the dry seasonings on the chicken pieces
4. Beat the eggs and the same seasonings to ensure that the crust once cooked has the same flavours as the chicken.
5. Coat each piece with flour. It is basically to ensure that the egg clings to the chicken when it is coated and doesn't slide off it.
6. After coating with flour, drench the chicken in the beaten egg mixture.
7.  Lastly, coat the chicken liberally with the cornflakes on both sides in a way that it is completely and evenly covered.
8. Refrigerate the coated chicken pieces for half hour.
9. In a shallow non stick pan, heat up olive oil and place each piece individually to ensure that they ate cooked well on all sides.

Serve with sautéed vegetables, pickles and Lebanese bread or just slide it between two slices of multigrain bread and enjoy!!:-)

5 comments:

  1. wow!!! Now thats my dinner for tomorrow :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolz..am sure u would make it even yummier!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum... That's something to drool abt. How long did the chicken beating take? Was it easy?
    I am not a fan of KFC n you know what they changed their brand in uS to grilled from fried. The closest to this I like is at Nirulas at noida. The chicken chops are amazing there but nothing like home cooked Comfort food ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey vivs! glad u found it tempting!:) u better cook this for sonia n krish soon!:) yups, nirula's chicken and mutton chop used to be delicious thou now thier standards have fallen drastically:-( Try this easy recipe soon and u mite prefer it to nirulas!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey babes.......what an amazing recipe......
    I tried it tonight........was looking for something which was not too heavy and quick to make........
    Superb !!! Just did a little variation.....changed my herbs....and the final coat was a mix of bread crumbs and oats........

    ReplyDelete