Monday, March 28, 2011

Coffee Cinnamon Rum Cake



An army man for a dad and a home science teacher for a mom, I grew up surrounded with all kinds of amazing, different delicacies. Ingrained from an early age that food was to be enjoyed in all its unique forms, I love trying out stuff that some might find yucky or gross!:-)
Food for me is just not a source of nourishment but a medium to fuel my creative and risk taking side..though, often, it does flare into a full blown forest fire when my imagination runs ahead of reality!;-)
Always being encouraged by the most amazing cook, my mom, to learn the nuances of cooking, I never found the time to explore that side until I took a break from work due to my back injury in April 2010.
A great believer in easy cooking without sweating over hot stoves for hours, my first attempt at microwave baking started with “Coffee Cinnamon Rum Cake” in May 2010!
Yes, it was not perfect but as my mom had said on tasting it, cooking is all about experimenting and finding that balance of ingredients that one finds, not in any cookbook, but by building a relationship with them!:) That said, it was enough motivation for me not to hang up my oven mittens after the first time itself!:)
Nachiketa Chandra of “Crazy Over Desserts” fame was the first one of my friends to taste it and she had good things to say about it and encourage me to experiment further. She had been very kind in giving space to my first attempt last year on her blog
[http://thevariable-nachiketa.blogspot.com/2010/05/new-baker-radhikas-microwave-coffee.html]
Recipe
Microwave Coffee Cinnamon Rum Cake
Ingredients:
Self rising flour/Maida- 1 cupMilk- 1/4 cup
Brown Sugar- 3/4 cup
Butter,softened- 3/4 cup
Instant coffee- 3 tablespoon
Boiling water- 1 tablespoon
Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
Eggs- 2
Vanilla essence- 2 tablespoon
Cocoa Powder- 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon Powder-1 teaspoon
Dark Rum- 1-1 ½ tablespoon


Method:
Preheat the oven at 180 c
Grease and line an 8' round cake tin
Sift Maida and Baking powder, Cocoa and Cinnamon Powder twice and keep aside.
Dissolve Instant Coffee in the water.
Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
Add eggs 1 by 1, beating well.
Add rum and mix.
Alternatively add flour and milk to the mix, beginning and ending with flour.
Pour in greased tin and bake for 30-35 minutes
MICROWAVE- 80% for 8 minutes. Or At convection mode for 25 minutes until cooked.
NOTE: Cooking time is dependent upon the kind of microwave and power consumption. Therefore, bake it till the center of the cake is cooked.

4 comments:

  1. Humm....interesting n simple.....i guess i m motivated enough to try it soon :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what we were looking for...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Divyani-glad to be of help!thanks for visiting the blog..do keep dropping in!:)

    ReplyDelete